Sunday, February 24, 2013

"That time of year," by William Shakespeare

My attention was immediately captured after reading the first three lines of Shakespeare's sonnet, "That time of year thou mayst in me behold." It is a beautiful poem that I found myself reading more than a few times, not just to discover its true meaning but to allow each word to sink in. This sonnet is filled with metaphors that signify the speaker's awareness of his seniority and the loss of springtime (i.e. his youth.) It offers great imagery which really pulled me in and honestly displays the speaker's emotions. My favorite lines are the last two, which are:
 
“This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.”

I gathered the main theme of this poem is that life is short and our time while we are young is even more fleeting - we should enjoy this season while it lasts. This sonnet exemplifies the fear and distress one can experience when growing older; something I'm sure a lot of people can relate to.

Here is a funny comic that I found:

No comments:

Post a Comment