After listening to this poem in class the first thing that popped into my mind was the movie, Silver Linings Playbook. I saw it in theaters last Sunday and it really spoke to me, as did this poem. In the movie the main character, Pat, suffers from bipolar disorder and is finally released from a psychiatric hospital after eight months. He returns to his family fully determined to turn his life back around. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling the movie for those who haven't seen it, but the main point of the movie is Pat searching for his "silver lining" after many miles of stumbling in the dark.
Emily Dickinson's "We Grow Accustomed to the Dark" is similar to Silver Linings Playbook because I feel that both depict the struggles and uncertainty we face in life and how we can eventually overcome them. "You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. If you do that, if you stay positive, you have a shot at a silver lining." This is what came to mind after listening and reading this deep, meaningful poem.

No comments:
Post a Comment